Monday, June 29, 2009

Camera and Studio

Hi Folks,
I thought that I would give you a little more insight behind some of the paintings from Greg Olsen. This past signing event in Idaho Falls showed this concept very well. Greg says, “In a modeling session I often resort to photography to capture the images that I want. With children I use a camera. I may do some quick sketches but a child moves so quickly that in order to capture all of the details. When I’m working with children or average people who have jobs and have a difficult time sitting around here in my studio for weeks or months at a time. This helps me capture action, expression and the details that are required to do the kinds of paintings that I do. I’ll take sometimes, several hundred photographs for a single painting.”

Well, he couldn't have brought his models and studio set-up to IF could he? We like Greg's work because of the detail, and it is amazing to watch it appear on the canvas. With a photograph he can zoom in and get every fold, or wrinkle or expression that was captured. I hope to show you the actual photo shoot of the apprentice, or passing it on, or what ever Greg ends up titling the painting he started in IF. There is also behind the scenes info that explain just why he chose the subject matter. I'll have to think about exposing the secret.

No comments:

Post a Comment